Stay Awake!


This isn’t a typical New Year’s Day post. But I wanted to share what’s been weighing on my mind the past few days as this year has come to a close. In a few words, it has to do with staying awake, sober, clear-eyed. I can’t shake the feeling that while these things have always been important, it feels essential now. Whatever this may mean to each of us in our individual and/or collective lives, I hope that in so doing we align ourselves with Truth, Justice, Goodness, Fairness, Beauty… and so find ourselves a part of the dawning of a more beautiful life and world.

What might staying awake mean? A few things come to mind:

  • Resist the urge to self soothe in unhealthy ways. 
  • Some healthy ideas—get outside in nature as often as possible, call or get together with a friend, create something, do/say something kind or uplifting
  • Regularly seek feedback from someone I trust and respect to gain perspective. 
  • Regularly examine my mental narrative. I’m convinced we all tell ourselves stories that can sometimes trap and hinder us. False narratives may help me feel better in the short run, but ultimately they stymie growth and can be harmful to myself and others.
  • Examine societal narratives. Be open to changing beliefs (however long-held) if the evidence supports a change or adjustment.
  • Welcome discomfort. Don’t resist or fight it. Growth and discomfort go hand in hand. 
  • Be courageous…speak truth, resist evil, and work for the betterment of myself and others. 
  • Count the cost. Then make a decision and stick with it.




Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Gretchen! A blessed New Year to you and your family.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from my readers. Your comment will come to my email first, and will show after I have approved it. Thank you for your input!

Popular Posts