Small Town America Sesquicentennial

This parade entry reminded me of my own experience of dressing up in “Little House on the Prairie” attire during the town’s Centennial in 1973. There’s a pic of me somewhere but wasn’t to be found this weekend.

I just returned from my second and final trip of the summer to visit my parents and join them in attending our small, rural Illinois hometown’s sesquicentennial. I was 5 when the town celebrated its centennial back in 1973, and I have to say that while much has changed, much of the camaraderie of small town America has stayed the same, at least for a few days as we caught up with one another and reminisced on what things were like all those years ago. 

First detail was my train ride from Chicago to Pontiac, IL. This was the second time this summer that a connecting flight was canceled due to potential dangerous weather conditions and Amtrak saved the day. I took the Blue Line from O’Hare to Union station where I waited several hours to catch a train downstate. Honestly, it felt a bit empowering to take on a new experience as I made my way, asking for help when I needed it. It was interesting to interact with strangers and to explore Union Station in Chicago. It was also encouraging to know there are friendly people just about everywhere you go.

Union Station, Chicago 




I arrived to Mom and Dad’s late in the evening Wednesday, had a quick supper, and tried on dresses that I would model later that weekend. More to come on that.

Thursday morning, after taking a stroll through Mom’s gardens, she and I traveled to the small town of Mackinaw where we did a little shopping and had a delicious lunch at the Mackinaw Depot—a refurbished train depot/Tea House. 







The Depot is known for their tiered meals. Top tier— soup or salad, middle tier—main item, lower tier—dessert. Yummy food!

Friday, Dad took me on a “3+ hour tour” of his, Kendall, and Mark’s corn and soybean fields, a fairly thorough drive through the towns of Cornell & Long Point, and finally two cemeteries where I saw my grandparents’ and great grandparents’ grave markers. 


I pulled this pic from the internet, but this could’ve easily been taken on our drive.




Our town’s celebration kicked off on Friday evening with an Ice Cream Social. I learned fairly quickly that this weekend would be all about who I would and wouldn’t recognize. When decades go by without seeing people it can be somewhat entertaining to see who I immediately knew, those I had to take a minute to know, and those I ended up having to ask, the most awkward being when they recognized me and said hello using my name without me having a clue. 

I was the first to recognize Dad’s favorite cousin, Kaye. He lit up when he realized who she was and gave her a big bear hug. 

Saturday morning started with a parade that was super fun and energized the crowd. 









The parade was followed by a slow walk over to the church my grandparents’ attended when they were living. There, over a hundred quilts made by community members were displayed. The morning was filled with greeting and catching up with people I hadn’t seen for many years. 




I got a kick out of all the “white Jesus” pictures displayed in one of the town’s churches and wondered how this depiction of Jesus helped to shape my early experiences of faith.




Several weeks back when mom asked me if I’d like to participate in the style show I was a bit unsure about what this would entail. A former neighbor and babysitter of mine, Marilyn, put together a fun, entertaining, and informative show that displayed outfits from the town’s earliest inhabitants (mid 1800s) to current times. She had everything incredibly organized such that with each of us having about 4 changes, the show ran smoothly without a hitch as she provided details on fashions of the times. The dresses/outfits were all worn by current and former community members, which added extra interest.



Mom modeling her mother’s wedding dress. 

This wool coat from the ‘40s was incredibly heavy.  

Mom wearing a dress from the ‘60s.

A 1990’s prom dress.

Mom’s outfit from the ‘80s, shoulder pads and all.

This was from a wedding trousseau from (I think) the ‘50s.


The style show was followed by a reader’s theater that Mom participated in. Greg Tullis, played Amon Turner, who owned and operated our small town general store. As a young child, I remember the “penny candy” section (probly more like nickel and dime by the time I came along) that made up a large part of the store. It was a dark and dusty space that was a favorite place of the town kids. 


Charlotte Wilhelm, nonagenarian and a town hairdresser for 40+ years, was also part of the show. It was fun hearing about her childhood memories.

A true highlight was getting to reconnect with a few classmates. One thing I have come away with from this experience are the handful of people that were very kind and friendly, just as I remembered them. Not sure if any of them will read this, but I’d like to highlight them, as it was such a delight to reconnect with them. Schoolmates from Woodland High School—Marie, Natalie, Tammy, Laurie, Tara, Elizabeth, Kim, Julie, Diana R (only got to see her beautiful smile from across the park), her husband and my track mate Tim; Others who were either teachers, neighbors, babysitters, or 4-H Leaders—Phyllis, Arlene, Janet (and her daughter), Dawne, Amy, Paul, Allen, Fred, Jerry, Jean, Janeen, Sandy, Linda, Lanny, Greg, Phyllis, David, Rick and Holly. I wish I had gotten a photo of every one of them, but I just didn’t think to. I may very well be forgetting someone as it was a bit of a whirlwind weekend. 

One last thing. An absolute favorite childhood memory was riding around town on the Rittenhouse golf cart. I’m not sure if it still runs, but my little fanny sat on this seat countless times as Diana and Co. tooled around town on this much adored little vehicle. 




It was a very full, fun, and interesting weekend traveling down memory lane with Mom and Dad, and I’m so grateful I got to be a part. Mom and Dad, thank you for keeping me going on this busy weekend. I sure hope I have the energy and zest you both have when I’m your age. ;-)




Comments

  1. this was a very beautiful starement about this little rural community Thank you s o much for all the memories Silvana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! (I’m learning that Blogger does not make it easy to comment on here. Wishing I knew who left some of these anonymous comments.)

      Delete
  2. How awesome! We came to see Mom and Dad last month for a few days! I wish we had waited so I could catch up with everyone and be part of the fun and reminiscing. Enjoyed your account of the festivities. I recognized u from your picture, as well as a few other faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a beautiful story about the sesquicentennial! I loved getting to catch up with you, Silvana!

      Delete
    2. Rosalie (Beutke) McCaffertyJuly 19, 2023 at 7:13 PM

      Beautifully said, Silvana! It was a wonderful weekend and walk down memory lane!!

      Delete
    3. Rosalie, so good to talk to you last weekend!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! It was a fantastic weekend!! My daughter rode in the wagon that I rode in during the 1985 LP 4th of July Parade! And that was my grandma’s coat that you modeled!! Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my…how sweet! That coat was amazing! I kept thinking about how warm it would keep one on a cold January evening.

      Delete
  4. Silvana, this post is so heartfelt. I hate that I didn’t come over to say hi. I truly didn’t recognize you, but when I talked to Mark he said that you were at the park with your Mom and Dad. I thought I would have time to talk with you after the fashion show, but then there were a lot of people around you. I thought that I would have time to come back later, but we had a reception to go to and Tim said it was time to leave. I have many many fond memories of you and your family. You looked beautiful and happy as always. I hope life has been good to you and that some day we will get a chance to catch up ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana! I had hoped to connect with you as well but found it difficult with the style show taking up a good chunk of the afternoon. I do hope our paths cross again! I have SUCH fond memories of spending time with you and your family! <3

      Delete
  5. This was a wonderful series of days and events that you shared in colorful detail -- I really enjoyed the vicarious fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from my readers. Your comment will come to my email first, and will show after I have approved it. Thank you for your input!

Popular Posts