Welcome summer!


How is it is possible that I have a daughter on the verge of getting married? We had her bridal shower yesterday inching things forward to the awaited day. It was a gorgeous sunny day with a gentle breeze. Family and friends gathered to show our love and support of dear, sweet Michaela. Four more weeks and the plan is to step on a plane headed for the other side of the country where the views are pretty sweet. Vows will be exchanged, food and drink and laughter and hugging and well wishing will leave us feeling full and possibly a bit disoriented. Life can be that way sometimes. It’s just how it goes. When we’re at the heights we rejoice before coming back to earth to take care of the business of the day. 



As usual, reading keeps me grounded. I just finished these two books read in succession. They are each incredible accounts of systemic racism. I read The Sun Does Shine first. It is a heart wrenching autobiographical account of a black man unjustly sentenced to death row in the ‘80s. I have to watch what I take in these days as it can be just too much when coupled with the ongoing mire of modern day America, so I wasn’t sure I’d be able to get past the beginning details of how this person found himself on death row in Alabama. I’m glad I persevered because though the majority of the book details a 30 year trek of living on death row, this man had such faith and determination that brought a good deal of light to a depressing situation. He ultimately is exonerated with the help of Bryan Stevenson (author of Just Mercy—another incredible book). Bryan never gave up on him and worked for years to win his release. The book, like Just Mercy, shines a light on the corruption in high places that exists to this day. I think every person in America should read this book or at the very least be aware of some of the hidden bones in our closet.

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd was a bit slow to get going for me. Again, I’m glad I hung in because the characters made their way into my heart, and I learned quite a bit about abolition and those behind the work of that period. Kidd did a ton of research into the lives of the real/historical people who form the basis for many of the characters. As you can see from the book covers, both books are on Oprah’s list. She chooses some great titles, and I’ll be looking into others for summer reading.

Our wren house has a house wren family! 

It’s been a quiet day of reflection and rest after a busy weekend. Sitting here on the back patio, bird song fills the air. Distant sounds of cars (always) are less welcome, but a good reminder that life is filled with blessings and things that tend to get in the way of “perfection” that will not be had, at least in the foreseeable future. Yet, how wonderful life is, despite war, injustice, everyday challenges, etc. etc. Seems a fitting place to end on this Memorial Day. 

Comments

Popular Posts