Seeing rightly by connecting with the heart


 And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”  Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince


Each day, each week, I need to reconnect with the deepest place, the heart.

Today is Sunday. A day for doing just this. For the past hour or so, I’ve been sitting in a favorite chair, resting and letting the gentle flow of a Sunday afternoon fill and recharge me. The words of Nicole Nordeman’s song, You Are Good, are a balm. I’m reminded of divine goodness that sustains me on a daily basis. I think of how the daily grind quickly wears away the joy and peace. This deep sense of “all is well” is fleeting, like the leaves on an afternoon breeze in this world of turmoil. 

Yet, if I make the time, I can find my way back to this place of rest, this place where hope is reborn. Mostly, it takes intention. A sitting myself down and letting the raucous thoughts of the day or the week slowly drift out of my head. Allowing the calm to find its rightful place again. 

Once a day, once a week…seeing rightly means connecting with the heart. For me, this means quieting myself to be still, to listen. Reading, listening to music, watching certain movies, getting out in nature. These are just a few ways I reconnect. How about you?




Comments

Popular Posts