A few thoughts on this Sunday


I was able to get many shots of this sharp-shinned hawk Friday after school. Our routine on a Friday involves chilling out while sitting at the kitchen island. Bill happened to glance out the back windows and saw this hawk feeding on the ground. It was an exciting opportunity to get a close up view of a bird that does not often show itself, at least not for long. But it stayed in one spot long enough for me to grab my camera, adjust the settings, and snap a couple dozen shots. We decided this one was the best as it tells a story and provides a deeper glimpse into this birds’ being.

Surprising is the fact that, given my love of birds, I did not find myself dwelling on the death of the smaller passerine bird. I sent the pic to a friend, and his response resonated with what I had been thinking…”the circle of life”. 

I’m currently reading Richard Rohr’s Immortal Diamond. One of his archetypal sayings, “transcend and include”, has really helped me to move past dualistic notions of “good and bad”. That’s not to say there is no such thing as good and evil. There is very much so. But it is a way of seeing that allows one to move past the evil by recognizing that nothing is wasted, that everything is connected, that we are all a part of a much bigger picture. 

Something similar that has been on my mind recently is how important some low-pay, front line type jobs are—how utterly essential they truly are yet how those individuals who hold those jobs are mostly either completely overlooked or despised. There is a custodian who works at my school who, as far as I know, only cleans bathrooms—for her entire shift. Day in and day out, she quietly goes about her business, and she does an excellent job of getting things clean. She is in her 25th year in the district. My admiration for her has grown over time as I’ve learned what she has to deal with. I’ll spare the details, but let’s just say that humans (regardless of age) are not as careful as a janitor would like them to be. I often think about the workers who clean public bathrooms as being angels sent to care for the basest parts of humanity. And of course, there are many of these “front-line” workers who truly are a great blessing to society yet are mostly invisible. They deserve so very much more honor (and higher pay) than they get. Yet who do we esteem? The wealthy, the powerful, the influencers, the winners, etc. (Of course, we need leaders, those on top who can do their part with humility, generosity, compassion, etc, so I’m not necessarily disparaging these positions.)

I’ll end on this note. One of the main reasons I remain a Christian to this day has to do with what Christ taught. His “kingdom” is an upside down kingdom that I find utterly compelling. The “least of these”. These are those that receive honor in such a kingdom, and I’m all for it. 

Happy Sunday!

 

Comments

Popular Posts