Epiphany

I took this photo a few years ago—likely around the same time of the year. 



When I spoke with a few of my students about the upcoming day off from school, Three Kings Day, one of the three knew what the holiday was generally about and was looking forward to getting his 3 presents. I had to inwardly chuckle as the other two somewhat regretfully acknowledged that there would be no gifts for them as their families didn’t celebrate the holiday. The somewhat humorous part had to do with one of their comments…”only nice kids get presents?” I think the student had somehow connected the story of Santa Claus with the three kings bringing gifts to Jesus “because he was nice.” 

So here we are. Shortly after my last post in which I expressed my desire to learn more about Epiphany, I was happy to open an email from author, Jan Richardson, in which I found a resource she wrote that will start me on this journey. I grew up in a liturgical church, so feel slightly embarrassed that I am not more familiar with this section of the church calendar. I think it probably has more to do with me not clueing in to the traditions and their deeper meanings as they came and went. I will be interested to see if things start to fall into place as I go along. Or, perhaps I will come to see that there are many and varied spiritual lessons and practices that belong to Epiphany and various church traditions. 

If you are interested, you can follow along with me using this resource that Jan provided. I have read a few pages and am already appreciating the mix of art, poetry, and reflections. 

I had to look up how long Epiphany lasts. I see that some celebrate the day, while others focus on a season of Epiphany that extends until Lent. Hmm…I think I’ll go with the season pass..lol. Having decided to draw this out over the next several weeks until Lent, I think I’ll start with Jan’s resource and then see what else I might find. I would love to hear of any favorite resources or recommendations from others who happen to read this.  A Blessed Epiphany to all. 

Comments

Popular Posts