Saturday Before Christmas


 It’s Saturday afternoon, and I’m relishing a few moments of peaceful repose. Oh my, has it ever been a busy fall at school. I won’t go into detail, but I’ll say that it’s been at least as busy and stressful this year as at any other time since the pandemic began. I am so grateful for the upcoming holiday break. Although, it’s sure to be busy with meals to prepare, gifts to wrap, and more. But, I determined not to mind and to enjoy to the full my loved ones. And, the time off from work will allow stolen moments of peace and rest, like the one I’m enjoying this very minute. 

I’m really looking forward to having my parents and Luke home for Christmas, along with Michaela and Austin who live close by. I have three and a half days of school this week, then it will be off to the airport to pick up mom and dad (late night run) and Luke (afternoon run). Christmas eve will be spent at a sister-in-law’s, and we’ll gather for brunch at our home on Christmas morning. We have a favorite soufflé that I’ve made nearly every Christmas for the past 30 years—along with Danish Kringle. My mom started this traditional Christmas meal when I was a child. I enjoyed it so much, I thought it worth continuing. Everyone seems to enjoy it.

This afternoon I whipped up the dough for the Kringle. It is firming up in the fridge. I think I’ll wait until tomorrow to roll it out and fill with almond paste, bake, wrap, and put in the freezer for Christmas morning when I’ll add the final touches of frosting and chopped nuts. The soufflé comes together rather quickly the previous night—ready to slip in the oven in the morning. 

As with most Saturdays, there was cleaning and washing clothes and working out this morning, followed by a quick run to the store to grab the Kringle ingredients. I’ve accomplished what I had intended and have downshifted for the evening. 

I am holding close loved ones and a few students who I know are going through difficulties. The older I get, the more convinced I am that the love we feel in our hearts really are prayers ascending to heaven. This is a comfort to me, as I also find that praying with words, either aloud or in my mind so often feels flat. I am learning more and more to live out my faith from my heart, where there are truly great and hidden depths, where our lives are hidden with Christ. 



Comments

  1. "The older I get, the more convinced I am that the love we feel in our hearts really are prayers ascending to heaven." Oh, I agree. I even feel it as a prayer! And it comforts me, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from my readers. Your comment will come to my email first, and will show after I have approved it. Thank you for your input!

Popular Posts