Heeding the call to creative work

 


I’ve often thought that if I could choose to do or be anything, I’d choose to be a poet…a weaver of words capturing the beauty and wonder of this world. Yet, is the ability to create (even mostly) about gifting, or is it as much or more about devoting oneself to the endeavor, being attentive and available to the wind of the Spirit, that creative force that brought all things into existence? In short, creative work takes time, attention, and devotion that requires one to listen deeply, to wrestle, and at times to stray from the beaten path of the world.

Mary Oliver says it this way, “There is no other way work of artistic worth can be done. And the occasional success, to the striver, is worth everything. The most regretful people on earth are those who felt the call to creative work, who felt their own creative power restive and uprising, and gave it neither power nor time.” 

I feel that restive spirit when I see beauty that I long to capture, and I feel the need to run for my camera. Perhaps one day I will have more time to devote to writing, photography, and who knows what else. ;-)

Taken while on one of our walks this week. 

The green orb—iphone trademark. ;-)




Comments

Popular Posts