Making space for quiet

 


It’s been a busy and difficult school year thus far, which has kept my mind preoccupied and less free to express myself here. More than ever, I’ve felt impressed to purposely engage in quiet and stillness so that I can be attentive to what I need to hear and know, so that I can be my very best for my loved ones, my students, myself. When I am not at work, I’ve been trying to make a concerted effort to embrace stillness and avoid distractions. Some of the changes that have come out of this time include:

Less social media engagement—-Habits die hard, but I’m working on this one and am realizing I am missing very little when I avoid it. 

Less gobbling up books, articles, etc.—This one has come as a bit of a surprise. I love to read and typically have several books in my stack, but lately, I’ve found it difficult to engage with anything. I can’t tell you how many books I’ve started and stopped within the last few months. Perhaps a blessing in disguise. More space to listen to the Holy Spirit. 

With less reading, I’ve turned to creative activities. I am knitting a wrap that I am getting closer and closer to finishing. Knitting, resting mind and body, and prayer go together nicely.

I’ve switched up my weekday workout routine. Instead of speed walking and running on the road, this week I’ve started taking Teddy for a brisk walk in the nearby fields. Luke came home for a visit this past weekend, and one of the first things he mentioned was that Teddy had gained weight. Bill and I were both a bit surprised. We hadn’t noticed! It’s only been two days, but I’m hoping this new habit sticks for both of us. I think we’re enjoying the extra connection with nature.

I had been wanting to write a post for a while but just couldn’t find the time or inspiration. Perhaps this morning’s early wake-up was a blessing in disguise.

It was wonderful having Luke home for a few days. We miss him, but are happy he is enjoying living in Colorado. 



 

Comments

Popular Posts