Going on a bird hunt

In keeping with my summer theme of doing what feels right on any particular day, Sunday morning, first thing, I decided it felt like a good time to take advantage of a cool front that had moved in overnight to get out and see what I could find in the bird world of the nearby fields and woods. The air was clear and the sun was shining. As I understand, we are pretty near the end of nesting season for most birds, but with the cool air and plenty of insects available, the birds were pretty active.

This little song sparrow was my first sighting. He/she kept me company for quite a while. 




I moved slowly along the fence row and eventually made my way to a forest edge where a gentle and unique call near the top of the treetops made me pause and get out my Merlin App. Using the sound recording, it brought up White Eyed Vireo. It was hard to see the fellow so far up, even with my zoom lens. Later, after listening to examples of the White Eyed Vireo calls, the two didn’t match, so I’m still not quite sure if that’s the correct bird. Yet, when I zoom in, though blurry, the features seem like they could match a White-eyed Vireo. Here’s the less than great photo that I was able to snap.


I’m learning that finding these friends takes time, patience, and stillness. I stood for quite a while just listening. The Blue Jays have been quite vocal this past week, and more often than not were the majority voice that I was picking up. 

I finally decided it was time to head back home (not far—just a few minutes). Back near the fence row where I first saw the song sparrow, I eyed this Northern Mockingbird eating a red berry at the top of a Red Cedar sapling. These guys tend to be brave, and so I was able to snap many (too many) photos while he sat and preened in the light of the rising sun.




As I neared home, there was a flock of starlings lifting and settling in the field, on the fence posts, and in the trees.




With the strong recommendation by the EPA for people to stop feeding and watering birds this summer due to a yet unidentified cause of death among songbirds, I have missed being able to lift my eyes to the feeding stations and take in the view of summer birds. But then again, there are many that will rarely if ever enter our yard (like the White-eyed Vireo), so it’s been good to get in the habit of going on my little bird hunts. 



Comments

Popular Posts