This and That

‘Queen of Sweden’ rose by David Austin

The past two weeks have been busy. We drove the 1,000+ miles out to visit my parents in Illinois, a trip we’ve taken countless times and just now is beginning to feel “not so bad”. We typically drive straight through, taking 17 hours on average. The trip always looms LARGE in my mind ahead of time, but it really didn’t feel like it so much this time around. Perhaps the space between this and the last trip helped. We were unable to make the trip last summer due to COVID. After 18 long months, it was wonderful to hug my mom and dad.

Visits home come with mixed feelings. Family brings great joys and great sorrows. I’ll go no further to explain except to say that now that I am back home, I’ve been reaching for my typical “go-tos” that help me to find inner peace, rest, and focus that allow me to dip into a deep well of joy on a daily basis. 

One of the first things I did upon returning was to visit the birdbath out in the field. We planted three rose bushes this spring, and I had yet to see the final one in bloom. (A deer had lopped off the top of the plant, resulting in a later bloom time than the other two.) Boy was I in for a treat! I spent some time adjusting various camera settings and snapping away—which I think will be the key to learning what works best when it comes to capturing what I see. 





As I was returning to the house, I had just enough time to focus in on the turkey family that was making their escape from the yard into the field.



I find SO much pleasure in nature. Honing in on a particular subject helps me to “capture the moment” so that I can study this beauty that so often takes my breath away. 

Yesterday and today, my focus has shifted as I’ve been making preparations for Bill’s 50th birthday party tomorrow. His parents and siblings are coming to celebrate. I’m making Slow-Cooker Pork Tacos with Fresh Tomato Salsa, Paleo Flatbread, and Gluten-Free German Chocolate Cake. He has a large family with various diet restrictions sprinkled throughout. I just realized that these recipes won’t fit the vegan bill of a niece who eats that way by choice, but it will work for those with gluten and dairy sensitivities. Most importantly, Bill, who has his own restrictions, will be able to enjoy what I make. Boy, cooking sure has changed since I learned my skills as a child from my mom (who is an amazing cook!!). However, I don’t mind too much as it has resulted in healthier bodies…my own included! Thanks to science and our deepening understanding of what works (and doesn’t work) for some, we can now make informed decisions about what we put into our bodies. I have come to understand that it can make a huge difference.

The pork is cooking slowly in the oven and has been gradually filling the house with its spicy scent. I had hoped to make the cake today, but when I realized that the 11 lb. roast wouldn’t fit in either the crock-pot or insta-pot, I realized the best solution was to cook it on low all day in the oven, prohibiting me from also baking the cake in the oven. Tomorrow morning will have to do. And now, I should scoot over to the local farm stand where I hope to buy a few fresh tomatoes and cilantro for the salsa. 



Comments

  1. Boy, that is a LONG drive. Wow. But, yes, being so confined during a year of COVID brings a lot of gratitude for being able to visit one another freely again. I'm glad you were able to make the trip. Also, I love how nature brings you so much joy. I am the same way. I love your photos and enjoy seeing pictures of your garden and the wildlife around you. And then there's your food-- it sounds sooo delicious. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a wonderful feast! I bet it was a joyous time. That trio of roses sounds like the perfect group of friends to welcome you home. Glory to God!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from my readers. Your comment will come to my email first, and will show after I have approved it. Thank you for your input!

Popular Posts