Routines that carry me

Out for my morning run
Out for my morning run

As a special education teacher, I’ve learned that routines are key for student success and well-being, and I also believe they are necessary for EVERY person, regardless of age or ability. During the school year, I have some pretty solid routines that keep me moving forward. From morning wake up time, to exercise, to what I eat on a daily basis, to how I manage and implement my (sometimes unpredictable) work, to evening and bedtime activities. These routines and habits carry me when life gets busy, stressful, and just plain full. 

Having said all that, one would think I’m a type A person who rarely veers off course. Nothing could be further from the truth. Yes, I’m pretty habitual about certain things. However, when I have free time, I tend to prefer the “leaf on the wind” approach. During the summer this means that, while I have certain items on my “mental agenda” for a particular day or week, I’m pretty loose about things. I may sleep in (rising close to 6:30-7:00) or get up with the sun (anywhere between 5-6:00). It’s nice to not have to set an alarm, allowing my body’s needs to determine when I get up.

However, there is a down side for me to this approach. It takes me a while to wake up in the morning, so often I’ll peruse the news or social media. I like to be informed, am curious about many things, and can get easily pulled into justice type concerns. While I feel that it is important to be informed so that I can better love others, I know that taking in too much of this can be toxic. Too much and I find myself feeling weighed down and depleted before mid-morning. 

With just a bit of self awareness and leaning on some established  routines, I can get a handle on this poor habit before it gets too out of hand. (It’s taken some work through the past year—with so much going on in the world, I’ve had to develop this awareness.)

So this morning, while I didn’t completely avoid old habits of checking in on the world, it was at least brief, and I went out for my early morning run, followed by a protein smoothie, then a quick change of clothes and out to pull weeds and straighten up a bit in various garden beds for the remainder of the morning. 








 With the sun out in full force, I knew it wasn’t the best day for picture taking, but I couldn’t resist running in to grab the camera to take just a few pics of the pretty winged insects who were quite busy working alongside me. 

A quick shower and lunch, finished reading a chapter in A More Christlike God, and now I’m sitting in front of an open window enjoying the (sort of) cool breeze. A mourning dove’s cooing drifting through reminds me that the birds are still around, just more incognito. (Our state Audubon recommended suspending feeding of birds and filling of baths due to an unknown bird illness that swept through the mid-Atlantic states and is likely making it’s way into New England.) 

I’m so grateful for days like this where I feel a deep sense of peace and rest. Outdoor work, nature, exercise, and focusing on spiritual truths (perhaps my next post will be about that) make such a difference!



 

Comments

  1. That sounds - and looks - like a very blessed morning. I always start wondering, in the summer, how I can keep up the habit of spending time outdoors, once the weather turns cold. I shouldn't even speak of it, probably, because I don't want to detract one bit from the freedom we enjoy right now.... And, it's better to take one day at a time. I'm so glad you have this one to write about, and I'm glad you went back for your camera, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from my readers. Your comment will come to my email first, and will show after I have approved it. Thank you for your input!

Popular Posts