Summer Day Journal

 


I was up before the sun this morning and decided to get out for some exercise, hoping to beat the heat. We are in the midst of a “heat wave” (90º or above for 3 or more consecutive days). Today, it’s forecast to reach 95º. When I got up, it was 74º—definitely doable. I love early morning run/walks when they work out, and today was pretty perfect. Watching the sun slowly climb above the hill, seeing birds flitting about catching bugs, and getting glimpses of other wildlife is a great way to start my day. This morning, a large deer bounded through the tall grass, followed by two more who took a more concealed exit. It got me thinking how cool it would have been to catch that leap with my new lens…followed by the realization that I’m nowhere near ready for action shots. But one needs to start somewhere.



With that thought in mind, I went in for a quick drink of water and grabbed my “gear”. It feels really strange to say that, and it felt even stranger to haul my bulky camera and tripod out to the middle of the field, knowing that for those unaware, I probably come across as some sort of photography professional. Hah! Little do they know. The above photo is not the best (that dim light, you know….somehow I totally forgot to adjust the exposure). It is the wren that took up residence in the bluebird house a few weeks back. I’ve been reluctant to check on this brood as wrens seem to get pretty cranky when anyone comes near, so I’m not sure how far along the nestlings are at this point. 


After moving across the neighbor’s driveway to the other side of the field, I noticed this shy little head that kept discretely popping above the grass. She kept a close eye on me but didn’t seem too concerned with my presence. 


By this time, I noticed that there really weren’t many creatures, including birds, moving around, so I decided it was time to get ready for a breakfast date with an old friend from homeschooling days. It was a treat to catch up with her. Our kids are grown and going in separate directions, and we are busy with our own work lives now and don’t get together often. But we still share a bond of love, having experienced life together as homemakers and teachers to our children for over a decade. It reminds me just how important it is to have close connection with fellow travelers. We provided support and encouragement to each other in so many ways through the years. Homeschooling was a deliberate choice our families made, but the paths were often lonely and challenging. Having each other to share ideas and plans as well as difficulties was no small thing. We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast and then headed out for a walk on a shaded trail, which was also reminiscent, as we would often get together with our kids to go for hikes and various outdoor adventures. 




Now it’s afternoon and 94º—real feel 105º. I know this pales in comparison to the soaring temps in the Northwestern U.S. However, it IS too hot to work out in the yard. So I’m sitting down to this needlework project that has been in process for…ahem…several years. It’s the type of thing that I don’t have the time or creative energy for during the school year. I’m feeling hopeful that I may finish it this summer. After pulling it out yesterday and getting over the initial hump, I’m back to feeling positive about it. I find it relaxing to engage in this creative work while listening to music or a podcast. So, with that, I think I’ll turn on the AC and settle in to my work. :-)

Comments

Popular Posts