My new friend…Nikon DSLR 3500

 


I have always loved taking nature pictures. Several years back, I purchased a Nikon CoopPix L120. It is basically a top of the line, yet very affordable, point and shoot camera. (I’m speaking with extremely minimal understanding of camera types, so forgive me if I misspeak.) It has served me quite well and the only reason I decided I needed to take a step up has to do with my growing love affair with birds. I have always loved birds, but during this past year during lockdown, that interest has taken a step to the next level. I have moved beyond admiring birds from a distance as they feed at the feeders or fly through the yard, to wanting to see them up close. A good pair of binoculars helps with this, but oftentimes the glimpse is fleeting. I began to feel the need to capture their beauty close up. After a ridiculous amount of reading on all the camera options (it is truly mind boggling), I settled on a Nikon DSLR 3500 which I purchased this spring. The package included an18-55 mm lens, not good enough for taking bird pics, but I had decided that before I made the next splurge (these items are not cheap) of buying a stronger lens, I would take my time and get to know the camera. Thankfully, there are some great youtube videos that have been very helpful with this process. For those of you familiar with photography, I’ve been focusing on the aperture priority setting and so have been practicing quite a lot by taking flower pics in the yard. On Sunday I took the plunge and purchased a used but like new lens that I hope will allow me to reach my goal of taking some close ups of birds…soon. (As I was typing that previous sentence, fedex delivered that lens…woo-hoo!)

After enjoying breakfast with some former colleagues and a noon dentist appointment, I came home and immediately headed outdoors to play. Here are a few pics from just a bit ago, before a nice gentle rain started about 15 minutes ago. 

Lavender in the herb garden.

A little bee bath in the herb garden.  On hot days, it is a popular landing pad.

Flowering cilantro that self seeds every year in the herb garden.

The echinacea is doing well this year. In past years, some type of bug has eaten the petals before they fully develop. I have learned that neem oil helps. The echinacea is planted in a side yard bed with oakleaf hydrangea.

Oakleaf Hydrangea flower. They are just getting started.

I adore the red and orange varieties of echinacea. I tried for three years to get them going, but they never took hold. This is the first year they have come back up. It’s all about getting that root system going the previous year.

We planted 3 rose bushes out in the field around a memorial bird bath that Bill made for his grandparents. More pics of these to come!

Another shot of the bee bath/fountain…not sure what to call it.

The bumblebees love the lavender.

Oh goodness, I’ll have to look up the name of the roses for future posts. It smells as lovely as it looks. :-)


Comments

Popular Posts