Farewell, Summer!



The summer days are waning. The local farmer has mown the fields and gathered up the dried grasses into bales that will fill the bellies of his livestock this winter. I’ve been back to school for PD for just over a week with the kids coming tomorrow. 


Looking back on the summer, I will likely remember it as a time of mixed blessings. 

While covid has reduced our socializing, we were able to gather our family together on several occasions. Sadly, we were unable to make the trip to visit my parents in IL over concern for their safety. A highlight through all of this has been having our son home off and on before he headed out west on a new adventure. Joy to have spent the time with him followed by sadness, knowing it will be months before we reunite. 



The summer started off with beautiful weather—plenty of rain to get my flowers going. Sadly, many of them succumbed to high temps and lack of rain. 




The zinnias were real troopers. After initially gettin shorn by potato bugs (happens every year), they rebounded nicely, and they don’t seem to mind the dry conditions.



The grapes actually seem to prefer the heat and dryness. They will be ready to harvest next week. They are a good reminder that crushing and fermenting (pain and sorrow) precede the rich and joyful experience of drinking wine at the harvest table with loved ones.

As I head into the school year, there is joy in being reconnected with my students and coworkers. It will be a year filled with challenges, no doubt. But we will all grow and strengthen in ways we likely cannot imagine. 

I will try to maintain my regular routines that help me to stay centered and calm with my vision focused on the bigger (Christ) picture. They include:
  • nightly centering prayer/meditation 
  • moderate exercise 3x/week
  • nightly reading of nourishing content/books
I have found that returning to a daily routine is also key to keeping my balance. My work routine buoys me, for the most part. During the summer, with too much extra time, I found myself spending far too much time keeping up with the news. It is draining, and while I still try to check in daily with the important updates, I really only have time for this once or twice a day, which is plenty. 

Farewell summer!







 

Comments

Popular Posts