Life Purpose, Longevity, and Telomeres



Live Longer, Happier, and Healthier with the Groundbreaking Science of Kindness is likely THE book that will stand out in my mind as the most impactful read of my summer ‘20 reading. I’ve been intending to blog about it for quite sometime but find myself putting it off. I think this has to do with the sheer volume of “wow” material that it covers, and I don’t want to miss reviewing any of it. I’ve finally come to the conclusion that I simply cannot review it all in one fell swoop. Suffice it to say, it is definitely in the top two non-fiction books that I’ve read so far this year. The other book, Just Mercy, I read in January. In both books, the authors write in a highly intelligent but also accessible way. Facts and research undergird both. And, best of all, both authors write with so much heart. They know their fields of study well and have the best interests of people in mind as they seek to bring light to two very important aspects of human life.

Kelli Harding writes about areas of life that contribute to overall physical, social, and emotional well-being (and I would add, spiritual well being to that list). Each chapter is its own world of information. The chapter that continues to roll around in my mind has to do with life purpose and how those who have tapped into this live longer, healthier, and happier lives. 

There’s a fair amount of science in the book. Thankfully, Dr. Harding breaks it down into understandable language. Have you heard of telomeres? Telomeres are,

DNA buffers...essential for chromosome stability—the genetic equivalent of the plastic tips on shoelaces that protect the lace from fraying.” Essentially, the longer our telomeres, the healthier our cells. When cells divide, telomeres get shorter. If they become too short, the cell dies. For humans, the longer our telomeres, the longer our lives and the healthier we are. Shorter telomeres predict a shorter life and increase the risk of death from a variety of diseases such as heart disease, infection, cancer, and dementia. When people of the same age are divided into two groups based on telomere length, the half with the longer telomeres live an average of five years longer than those with shorter telomeres.

The interesting thing is that our life choices can determine the length of our telomeres. While genetics plays a part, the take home message is that so does just about everything we do. Stress plays a large role in shortening telomeres. 

It seems the relationship between life stress, telomeres, and disease provides a mechanism for the hidden connection between the mind and the cell, our social world, and our health. Thus it follows that reducing stress increases telomerase activity in healthy cells and decreases the risk of disease. And indeed, a growing body of research suggests that lifestyle changes—such as exercise, deep relaxation (meditation, yoga), healthy diet (more plant-based), and increased social ties (hanging out with supportive friends and colleagues)—may protect or increase telomere lengths.

So what about life purpose? Dr. Harding introduces the chapter with a scene from her friend’s, Dr. Carola Eisenburg, 100th birthday. Throughout the chapter, you get to know a little of this remarkable woman’s career, and more importantly her life outlook and lifestyle.The picture that emerges is that of one who has never gotten “old” in the sense that she is (she’s still living at 102)  always learning, always achieving, always reaching for new goals, interested in forming new relationships, etc. Bottom line, she has never gotten bored with life and has lived each day to the full. 

Dr. Harding goes on to expand upon the importance of “education”, which to me just means continuing to seize opportunities to learn something new, whether that means pursuing a degree, checking out library books, or reading the latest NYT best selling science book. 

Looking at Dr. Eisenburg’s life, one can see where Dr. Harding is going with the Life Purpose message. About the time I was reading this chapter, I came across another woman who lived a long and purposeful life. I’m so glad I came upon this NY Times article about Shirley Siegel who died recently.

This woman also had a life long purpose—one that drove her to fight for civil rights and make lasting change for the betterment of society. 

I’ve been hugely inspired by both of these women that I only recently learned of. I turned 52 this year. Most people start to think of themselves as getting “old” at my age. Some days I find myself thinking “old” thoughts. But with this new information, I’ve felt inspired to think more about what motivates me, what keeps me learning, and how I can live my life so that I give my very best each day to make this world a better place, to love, to inspire, to encourage, to not waste a minute. You get the idea that these women were on a mission. What might it be like if we all lived this way? Thoughts to ponder...

Comments

  1. I really like this whole post, and I want to read that book! (Also, I feel like you do in your last paragraph.) You may already know about this, but I have a really interesting (and also super-accessible and practical) book called The Telomere Effect (by Elizabeth Blackburn, who won the Nobel prize for her discoveries about telomeres and aging, and Elissa Epel). The book is about the role of telomeres and how we can keep them healthy, so it touches on sleep quality, exercise, diet, chemicals, stress, our thoughts, relationships, neighborhoods, etc. Good book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a similar type of book, though one thing that stood out to me in Rabbit Effect is how social justice issues are tied in. Thanks for the referral, Susan!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from my readers. Your comment will come to my email first, and will show after I have approved it. Thank you for your input!

Popular Posts