Bees, Elderberries, and Heat!


Elderberries 

We are making our way through our fourth heat wave of the summer here in CT (multiple days of 90+ degrees). We often have several heat waves each summer, but the striking thing is that the four waves have come in nearly as many weeks, mostly in July with the first the last week of June. The humidity makes it quite uncomfortable. I must admit, having lived in MS for three years, we really have little to complain about when it comes to heat. We used to joke about how easy it must be to be a meteorologist in the south where the daily forecast was, “Sunny and hot in the 90s with a chance for afternoon thunderstorms” for months. ;-)

So out I went early this morning to beat the heat and to take care of various yard chores like watering, picking veggies, filling bird baths, etc. I think our neighbors must be getting tired of squash as the box appeared to have the same number as when I put it out yesterday. I added 7 or 8 more and positioned the box just a tad closer to the road, hoping to catch peoples’ eye as they drive by. 

Bees just trying to stay hydrated. 


On these hot, dry days, our honeybees frequent the bird bath. They may be keeping the birds away, but I don’t mind. I have a tray of water on the ground in a shaded area in the back that the birds love. The bees rarely visit there, so I’m guessing they prefer the sunshine for some reason. Or, maybe the birds and the bees have come to an agreement...haha.

The elderberries need to be a deep purple to harvest.



It’s looking like we may have a bumper crop of elderberries this year. I’m sure the mockingbird who lives on that side of the yard has noticed that some are nearly ready to harvest, so I’d better get at it.  I will be clipping small bunches daily as they turn deep purple. Removing them from the stem is slightly time consuming, but nothing terrible and pairs well with a good show or movie. I’ve been watching Anne with an E this summer, which I highly recommend. Sadly, I finished the NF series last week, but there’s 

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society that I’ve been meaning to watch. 

Comments

Popular Posts